The Geosciences division within RSK Group Limited, is one of the UK’s largest geotechnical and contaminated land consultancies with ambitious plans for growth. In addition, it can call on further related resources through ownership of Structural Soils Ltd, Ian Farmer Associates, Central Alliance and CJ Associates to provide market leading site investigation and drilling contracting company.
RSK is currently recruiting for a Senior/Principal Geotechnical Design Engineer to join our well-established and experienced geotechnical consultancy team. You would be based in our Hemel Hempstead or Coventry office.
The geotechnical consultancy team provides consultancy and design services to the wider RSK Group, as well as an increasing number of both private and public sector external clients. Our current workload includes major infrastructure, commercial and residential development schemes in the UK along with overseas downstream oil and gas projects.
RSK prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, allowing employees to reach their full potential. Having been recently placed within the top 10 UK environmental consultancies (Environmental Analyst, January 2018) and winning Ground Investigation Specialist of the Year at the 2018 Ground Engineering Awards, there has never been a more exciting time to join.
Geotechnical Design Engineer – Hemel Hempstead or Coventry
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing geotechnical consultancy services to predominantly multidisciplinary engineering projects across the UK as directed by the Team Leader or other project staff. All project work shall be carried out with due diligence and adherence to the RSK procedures and completed within the agreed cost budgets and time scales. Good communication skills are required to liaise with project team members and other personnel to ensure project success and client satisfaction.
More specifically you will be required to:
- Manage a variety of geotechnical projects for both external clients and other teams within RSK
- Provide technical support at all stages of assigned projects and controlling project costs
- Design, specify and manage desk studies, feasibility studies and ground investigations
- Be conversant with soil and rock logging to current geotechnical standards, including laboratory scheduling
- Prepare and check ground investigation reports
- Undertake geotechnical analysis and design of slopes, earthworks, foundations, basements and retaining structures
- Prepare earthworks specification documentation and SHW appendices
- Prepare earthworks documentation in accordance with DMRB HD 22/08 ‘Managing Geotechnical Risk’
- Manage the production of design drawings
- Attend project design meetings
- Prepare proposals and tenders and contribute to business development activity
- Travel to other offices and sites within the UK
In addition you will:
- Mentor and support new team members as appropriate, providing guardianship and imparting your knowledge and expertise to less experienced employees
- Establish and develop strong working relationships with new and existing clients, which is integral to the growth of the geotechnical consultancy department in Hemel Hempstead and the wider Geosciences business
- Provide technical leadership in the day to day delivery of projects
- BEng or equivalent in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering or similar
- Typically a further degree in Soil/Rock Mechanics, Geotechnics or equivalent would be desirable
- Chartered status or working towards chartership with either the ICE or another relevant professional body
- Typically requires at least 5 years specific relevant experience
- A thorough understanding of geology, ground investigation works, engineering geology, geotechnical engineering and earthworks
- Significant and demonstrable experience of geotechnical inspections, studies, design and reporting
- Previous experience of managing and validating earthworks projects using SHW documentation
- Able to complete factual and interpretative assessments
- Able to deliver projects and work within a multi-disciplinary consultancy
- Able to write proposals that are both technically sound and commercially accurate
- Provide strong technical leadership and mentoring skills to junior staff
Strong track record in managing time and resources effectively and within budget
Salary and benefits
- £commensurate with experience
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Free life assurance cover
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, childcare vouchers and private health care
- We encourage Continuing Professional Development and as a Registered Practice with the Geological Society or Institute of Civil Engineers, we are committed to supporting candidates through the Pathway to Chartership.
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK/European Economic Area. Candidates should confirm this when applying with their CV and covering letter to Nikita Soni, HR Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org
To see further career opportunities with RSK Group, visit our website www.rsk.co.uk
RSK is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.