The Geosciences team within RSK Group is one of the UK’s largest geotechnical and contaminated land consultancies with ambitious plans for growth in the future. The Geosciences team provides consultancy and design services to a range of external clients including engineers, house-builders, oil companies and local authorities. Our current workload includes major infrastructure projects, housing developments, landfills and commercial warehouses.
RSK is currently recruiting for Geoenvironmental Engineer to join our well-established and experienced Geosciences consultancy team in our Southampton office. RSK prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development and allowing employees to reach their full potential.
Geoenvironmental Engineer – Southampton (All levels)
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with the geotechnical elements of projects in the southeast of England (but could be in other areas of the UK) as directed by the Team Leader or other project staff. Good communication is required to inform/liaise with other project staff and the client with updates and any issues raised. More specifically you will be:
• Managing a variety of geo-environmental and geotechnical projects for both external clients and for other teams within RSK;
• Providing technical support at all stages of assigned projects and controlling project costs;
• Overseeing ground investigations;
• Contract administration and preparation of specifications;
• Soil and rock logging to current geotechnical standards, including laboratory scheduling;
• Working knowledge of contaminated land issues would be beneficial;
• Preparing and checking technical notes, drawings and geotechnical and geoenvironmental reports;
• Prepare proposals and tenders and contribute to business development activity;
• Travel to other offices and sites within the UK (as needed).
In addition you will:
• Mentor and support new team members as appropriate, providing guardianship and imparting your knowledge and expertise to less experience employees;
• Establish and develop strong working relationships with new and existing clients, which is integral to the growth of the Geosciences department in Southampton and the wider business;
• Provide technical leadership in the day to day delivery of projects.
These particular roles would be suitable for applicants who are looking develop their career to the next stage. Critically you will understand the importance of building strong working relationships by delivering a successful service on time and within budget.
• BEng or BSc or equivalent in Geology / Engineering Geology or similar;
• Typically a further degree in Contaminated Land or similar
• Chartered Engineer/Geologist with a relevant professional body or working towards Chartered status with a relevant institution (e.g. CGeol, CEng, RoGEP);
• Typically requires at least 2-3 years specific relevant experience;
• A thorough understanding of geology, ground investigation works, contaminated land, engineering geology and geotechnical engineering;
• A thorough understanding of remediation techniques, RMS, and validation
• Able to complete factual and interpretative assessments;
• Able to deliver projects and work within a multi-disciplinary consultancy;
• Able to write proposals that are both technically sound and commercially accurate;
• Provide strong technical leadership and mentoring skills to junior staff;
• Strong track record in managing time and resources effectively and within budget.
Salary and benefits
• £commensurate with experience;
• Contributory Pension Scheme;
• Free life assurance cover;
• A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, childcare vouchers and private health care;
• We encourage Continuing Professional Development and, as a Registered Practice with the Geological Society or Institute of Civil Engineers, we are committed to supporting candidates along the pathway to Chartership.
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK/European Economic Area. Candidates should confirm this when applying with their CV and covering letter to Nikita Soni; NSoni@rsk.co.uk
RSK is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK Group plc is an Equal Opportunities Employer.