The Geosciences team within RSK Group is one of the UK’s largest geotechnical and contaminated land consultancies with ambitious plans for growth in the future. In addition, it can call on further related resources through owning Structural Soils Ltd, a market leading site investigation and drilling contracting company.
RSK is currently recruiting for a ground investigation engineer (geotechnical/engineering geologist/geologist) to join our well-established and experienced geotechnical consultancy team in our Hemel Hempstead office. We are specifically looking for candidates that have a minimum of at least two year’s relevant experience in the planning and supervision of ground investigations.
The geotechnical consultancy team provides consultancy and design services to the rest of the RSK Group, as well as servicing a range of external clients. Our current workload includes anything from major infrastructure projects for downstream oil and gas clients, high end London city centre redevelopments, to housing developments for UK national house builders.
Ground Investigation Engineer – Hemel Hempstead
The successful candidates will be responsible for assisting with ground investigation projects across the UK as directed by the Team Leader or other project staff. All Project work must be carried out with due diligence, adhering to RSK procedures & completed within the given cost budgets and time scales agreed. Good communication is required to inform/liaise with other project staff and sometimes the client periodically with updates & any issues raised. More specifically you will be:
• Managing a variety of ground investigation projects for both internal and external clients
• Providing technical support at all stages of assigned projects and controlling project costs
• Undertaking desk studies
• Overseeing ground investigations and subcontractors
• soil and rock logging to current standards, including laboratory scheduling
• Collating data and writing factual and interpretative reports
• Exposure to geotechnical analysis and design of slopes, earthworks, foundations, basements and retaining structures
• Travel to other offices and sites within the UK and to occasionally undertake assignments overseas for periods of up to 2 months
This particular role is an excellent opportunity to work with a wide range of public and private sector clients on some key and major projects offering the opportunity for you to gain broad consultancy experience at an early stage of your career.
• A BEng / BSc in engineering geology, geology or a related discipline
• A second degree in geotechnical engineering would be advantageous
• Aspiration to obtain Chartered status with a relevant institution (eg CGeol) and membership of the Geological Society of London or be working towards corporate membership of another appropriate professional institution (eg ICE, IMMM)
• Proven post-graduate professional experience
• A thorough understanding of geology, site investigation works and ground engineering
• Good report writing skills
• Computer literate. Good level of using MS-Word and Excel
• Experience in GI specification and contract documentation, and site supervision
Salary and benefits
• £commensurate with experience
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Free life assurance cover
• A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, childcare vouchers and private health care
• We encourage Continuing Professional Development and as a Registered Practice with the Geological Society, we are committed to supporting candidates through the Pathway to Chartership.
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK/European Economic Area. If you have any further questions about this role, please do not hesitate to contact Simona Pukeleviciute, HR advisor, on 01442 416 631or at firstname.lastname@example.org. To see further career opportunities with RSK Group, visit our website www.rsk.co.uk.
RSK prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, allowing employees to reach their full potential. Having been recently placed within the top 10 UK environmental consultancies and ranked first for contaminated land and remediation consultancy (Environmental Analyst, December 2016), and number 42 in the Sunday Times Fastrack 200 which rates the success of private companies in the UK, there has never been a more exciting time to join.
Since 1989, our philosophy has remained the same: employ, develop and retain talented people. Working for RSK is an opportunity to evolve as a professional, to innovate and to make a difference. In the rail sector, we have developed a strong philosophy of collaborative working within alliances and other project teams, together with implementing innovative systems and techniques to drive environmental excellence and wider project efficiency.
We operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation. This also enables us to achieve a staff turnover rate that's consistently below the industry average. Adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all.
As an entrepreneurial organisation, we encourage and foster the growth of our employees. When joining RSK, a mentor works with you to ensure you set and achieve your goals. We want to accelerate your professional development, including opportunities for a promotional fast track.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.