RSK Land Development and Engineering (LDE) Ltd, part of the RSK Group of companies, provides a complete engineering design service for residential and commercial development projects, both pre and post planning. RSK LDE Ltd was formed in 2003 after a number of specialist design engineers joined RSK in order to strengthen its existing in-house capabilities. It now has a highly experienced team made up of professional civil and structural engineering staff with many years experience in the assessment, design and construction of major development projects. LDE’s engineers typically evaluate the land use constraints in support of the site acquisition and planning process. This work would then be continued into detail design, obtaining statutory approvals, procuring and supervising the site infrastructure and remediation projects.
Overall RSK currently offer the following engineering expertise: infrastructure and pre-acquisition engineering assessments, highways, drainage, structural and civil design, statutory utilities negotiations and flood risk assessments.
Senior Structural Engineer – Hemel Hempstead
- Responsible for the structural design of projects, using a supporting team of structural engineers and technicians where necessary.
- Undertake the design and oversee the detailing of cost effective and buildable structural solutions in relation to residential and commercial projects in traditional load-bearing masonry, in-situ reinforced concrete, structural steel and timber frame forms of construction.
- Prepare fees and control workload, programmes and costs within set and agreed targets.
- Assist clients in cost and buildability appraisals and feasibility studies at land appraisal and pre-development stages of a project.
- Attend project team meetings with clients and other consultants as required.
- Assist in the appointment of both temporary and permanent structural staff and be responsible for the progression and development of staff to enhance the ability of individuals and the skills of the team as a whole.
- Liaise with LDE infrastructure engineers to ensure design work is coordinated in terms of design, timescales and budget.
- Be aware of, and to alter standard design work practice to comply with changing legislation (e.g. Building Regulations, NHBC Guidelines, Eurocodes) in relation to structural design.
- Undertake and supervise structural design and detailing work using appropriate software programmes, as applicable (including Autocad, Revit, Strusoft FEM 3D, CADS 3D Max/RCBD/MWPD/Smart Engineer, TEDDS, Staad-Pro).
- Responsible for the briefing, checking and approval of specialist supplier/subcontractor design work.
- Undertake structural condition surveys of existing masonry structures of a range of ages with the expertise to identify signs of structural distress and report appropriately with recommendations for further intrusive works or remedial strengthening proposals.
Some of the key skills and expertise required for this role will include:
- Educated to HNC and/or Degree level.
- Have a proactive and logical approach.
- Holder of professional qualifications and having a professional attitude in relation to work and company ideals.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines on multiple projects.
- Ability to monitor and report effectively against budgets and programme.
- Ability to organise and prioritise work effectively.
- Ability to manage, train, organise and motivate team members effectively.
- Effective communicator - orally, in meetings and in the written form.
- Ability to present and explain design solutions to Senior Management.
- Good proven design experience and familiar with all structural materials.
- Familiar with relevant software packages.
- Wide and forward/lateral thinker with ability to solve problems effectively.
- Experienced in use of Microsoft products including Excel, Word and Power Point.
Salary and benefits:
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, childcare vouchers and private health care
- We encourage Continuing Professional Development and as a Registered Practice with the Geological Society, we are committed to supporting candidates through the Pathway to Chartership.
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK/European Economic Area.
RSK is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.